We are getting ready to study Hebrews for our Men’s study on Thursday mornings and the first 3 verses have really struck me with the riches of God and the Supremacy of Christ. As I was studying this passage it has quickly become one of my favorites.
Hebrews 1:1-3 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, 2 has in these last days spoken to us by His Son, whom He has appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the worlds; 3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,
Several things stick out to me in these verses;
1. God spoke to us through His Son: We have this in written form. We are once again able to hear directly from God oursleves.
2. Jesus is the Heir of all things: Jesus will reign over the world one day. It is his inheritance
3. He made the World: Jesus was there from the beginning. He made the worlds.
4. He shines God’s Glory: Jesus is a direct reflection of how magnificent God is
5. The express image of God: When we picture Christ we picture God.
6. His Word has power: He holds all things in this world by his word. What He speaks happens and nothing can stop it!
7. Only He can purge Sins: Jesus was the only one who died for sins thus He is the only one who can purge them from us. He took the burden on Himself and did it alone.
8. Sits at the right hand of God: Took his rightful place of authority next to His Father
When you look at this whole section you can’t help but realize His awesomeness. I think there is no where in scripture where we get a clearer picture of of His diety. Every time I read this something sticks out above the rest. I am seriously going to read and reflect on this the rest of my life.